At the minimum, in an age where many colleges and leagues and business owners are preaching "no tolerance", these charges are a truly ugly black eye on The Ohio State University and Meyer.More news: Trump says he's willing to meet Iran's president 'anytime'
Courtney Smith told college football reporter Brett McMurphy her allegations in a story posted on his Facebook page earlier Wednesday.
The Buckeyes fired wide receivers coach Zach Smith last week after he was served with a civil protection order over a string of domestic assaults against his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, between 2009 and 2015.
If Ohio State learned of the 2015 incident - and Smith remained on staff - it also is a big-time moral failure by the university and athletics department. The case was dropped by police when the woman chose not to pursue charges, but Hyde was suspended three games by Ohio State. It's unfortunate that the guy (Zach Smith) was allowed to be on the staff for that long a period of time. He was one of my coaches when I played. Smith is a long-time Urban Meyer friend and assistant, and the grandson of former OSU coach Earle Bruce.More news: How to watch Manchester United vs. Real Madrid, ICC
Add it all up, however, and Meyer's future in Columbus is more than murky. Zach Smith pleaded not guilty last month.
Meyer was out of coaching for a season but was hired by Ohio State in November 2011.
The fact remains, Smith has not been convicted of any domestic violence issues. He pleaded not guilty, and a hearing is scheduled for Friday. "I was never told about anything ... never had a conversation about it, so I know nothing about that".More news: Polar Bear Killed After Attacking Cruise Ship Worker In Arctic
Meyer acknowledged last week that he had been aware of a 2009 domestic-abuse incident in Gainesville. "No, and I asked some people back at the office to call and say what happened and they came back and said they know nothing about it".
- Trump ‘looking into’ Americans 3D-printing own guns
- 'It hurts to be called Hamilton's wingman', says angry Bottas
- Tesla reports biggest loss in its history
- Apple in touching distance of $US1 trillion mark after profits jump
- Florida man receives national attention for failed 'In My Feelings' challenge video
- Newcastle agree deal to sign Japan’s Yoshinori Muto from Mainz
- Manafort on trial: Jury hears of lavish spending on luxury clothes
- What does Mueller have? Manafort trial offers glimpse
- Eight states suing Trump administration, company over 3D guns
- 'Collusion is not a crime'