However, health officials said some severe cases of the virus can also lead to meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis and even death.
Pennsylvania officials are warning people to minimize their exposure to mosquitoes as testing is underway to confirm the suspected first case of human West Nile virus infection in the state this year.More news: Sales tax holidays scrapped as school shopping begins
Most infected people don't exhibit any symptoms but if you do you should see a healthcare professional immediately. The infected mosquitoes were found in surveillance traps in those areas.
If you are planning to be outside enjoying this summer weekend, be aware, mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus have been detected in Kent County. Symptoms include fever, fatigue, headache, body aches, skin rashes and swollen lymph nodes. The most vulnerable people are those who are at least 50 or have weakened immune systems. Information about insect repellents can be found by visiting http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/faq/repellent.html.More news: Trump, Mueller Near Final Stages of Talks for Interview in Probe
"I think it's important for us to talk a little bit about it today because it's one of those unusual years where there's not a lot of biting pressure from the so-called nuisance mosquitoes", he said. Always follow label instructions carefully. Wear proper clothing and repellent if outside during these times.
Dr. Benjamin Schwartz, director of epidemiology and population health with the Fairfax County Health Department said people should use mosquito repellent that contains DEET, picaridin, R3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus; wear long trousers and long sleeves, and avoid areas where mosquitoes are common, particularly during dawn and dusk.More news: Trump to impose sanctions over Turkey's detaining of pastor
Carroll said West Nile is elevated in the Lehigh Valley this year, but no records have been broken.
- Russia to deploy military police on Occupied Golan Heights
- Robert Mugabe's old party wins Zimbabwe election without him
- Russia Is ‘Keyboard Click’ From Major Election Hack, Coats Warns
- Apple reaches US$1 trillion in stock market valuation
- USA announces Indo-Pacific initiatives to counter China
- Only 1 Military Dog Tag Included in North Korea Remains
- Maurizio Sarri reveals Pep Guardiola warning ahead of Premier League move
- Trump says he's willing to meet Iran's president 'anytime'
- Trump stresses a fall shutdown may be needed
- North part of Mendocino Complex of Fires was very active Wednesday