The UN peacekeeping forces first deployed along the frontier in 1974 to separate Syrian and Israeli forces after Israel occupied the Golan Heights in the 1967 war. The Syrian government says Israeli attacks are helping only terrorists and that the only Iranian troops on the ground in Syria are advisers helping the Syrian Arab Army fight jihadists.
A series of blistering offensives backed by Moscow and Tehran has forced the rebels out of many of their strongholds, putting Assad's government back in control of almost two-thirds of the country. Israel has also upped its strikes against suspected Iranian targets inside Syria.
"We do not interfere or intervene in Syria's internal affairs", Lieberman said. He reiterated Israel's demand that Iran not set up military bases against it in Syria, nor that Syria be used to smuggle arms to Hezbollah guerrillas in neighbouring Lebanon.More news: Journey home underway for remains of US soldiers killed in Korean War
Israel seized 1,200 sq km of the Golan Heights from Syria in the Six-Day War of 1967 and later annexed it in a move never recognized by the global community. Earlier that month, the Syrian military said it had repelled an Israeli attack on Syrian army positions in the country's Quneitra province near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
The Israeli Defense Forces said it launched an airstrike on Wednesday night, killing seven terrorists from the Islamic State who had infiltrated Israeli territory in the Golan Heights along the Syrian border.
"With the aim of preventing possible provocations against United Nations posts along the "Bravo" line, the deployment is planned of eight observation posts of Russia's armed forces' military police", Rudskoi said.More news: Trump, Mueller Near Final Stages of Talks for Interview in Probe
He said the Russian presence there was temporary, and that the observation posts would be handed over to Syrian government forces once the situation stabilized.
The Syrian conflict erupted in 2011 and Russian intervention in 2015 helped to turn the tide in Assad's favour.
Back on May 10, Israel conducted what it called its most intensive airstrikes on Syria in decades.More news: Trump rejects conservative Koch donor network
Conricus said the Israeli military targeted with a military aircraft and killed seven "armed terror operatives" who had attempted to cross into Israeli territory late Wednesday.
- John Kelly Allegedly To Stay In Job Through 2020
- National Archives to review all Kavanaugh records by October, potentially delaying confirmation
- Trump to impose sanctions over Turkey's detaining of pastor
- Robert Mugabe's old party wins Zimbabwe election without him
- Trump says he's willing to meet Iran's president 'anytime'
- Extreme Conditions Expected as Firefighters Battle California Blazes
- Apple reaches US$1 trillion in stock market valuation
- Florida man receives national attention for failed 'In My Feelings' challenge video
- USA detects new activity at North Korean nuclear missile factory
- 8 states sue Trump administration over 3D-printed gun instructions